Monday, March 2, 2015

Our New DIY Industrial Coffee Table

This post is a long time coming. I started this project with my brother and dad a few months ago and we finally finished before the holidays. I just haven't made time to take pictures and share with all of you. Some of you might remember that a coffee table was one of my 2014 Home Goals. We did finish in 2014..so I am making that count!



We have been living without a coffee table for our entire marriage. That is almost 10 years people! I really liked having an open space in front of our couch, but never realized what I was missing until this beauty came along.



Now we have a place for our drinks, snacks, feet....whatever! This table is so sturdy that we can literally stand on it to change a light bulb or dance the night away without worrying about the damage our hefty selves might cause.



My brother built the wood top out of reclaimed wood from an old pub in downtown Raleigh. He planed the wood and sanded it down to create a smooth surface.



My dad and I designed the metal base and welded the pieces together with heavy duty steel. I am working on a tutorial to share with all of you over the next couple of weeks. So stay tuned!



I added a few coats of clear polyurethane to bring out the color and knots in the wood and to give it a durable surface with no worries of water stains. I also sprayed the metal with a clear coating to protect it from rusting in our humid NC weather.





I absolutely love how the table came out. It really gives our living space some texture and life. I love combining different styles to create a space that I want to spend my time in.
So much meaning and hard work went into this piece. I can't wait to have it in the family for many many years. A HUGE thank you to my talented brother and father for helping me create a memorable piece. I loved spending time working on this with both of you!


3 comments:

  1. Amy, it looks amazing!! Love the stain color especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It's gorgeous and looks sooooo expensive! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful! So special, too, that it was a family project so it is even more meaningful. So so pretty in your living room Amy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews